Monday, October 3, 2011

Making Time

Too often I find myself frazzled, feeling that I have too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I trip over myself to get chores done while spending time with the BabyGirl and still getting to bed at a decent hour. It's almost impossible. What I'm realizing, though, is that some things are a priority. I need to make time for them no matter what.
Christ said "For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be." (Matthew 6:21) Most people take this verse to literally mean treasure, or money, but I can see that Jesus also meant that your time, your heart, your thoughts, your soul are your treasure as well. It seems like today it is difficult for anyone to find the time to do all the things they want to do. Employers ask more time of their employees, homes take time to take care of, and other responsibilities can distract us from what is most important.
I know that my life is in its best balance when I make time for prayer and devotionals. I literally feel lost without it. Even 10-15 minutes a day of reading my Bible helps me to be more secure with myself.
Even if you're not a Christian, Jesus' advice is great. Ask yourself what you care about most. Is it your family? Is it a hobby? Whatever or whomever that may be, Jesus tells us to adjust our time accordingly. If you do care most about your spouse, then spend more of your time with your spouse or doing things for him. Spend your resources (money, time, skills) on what you care about most.
This is a lesson I know I need to take to heart.