Saturday, August 27, 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing?

It's funny how sometimes God uses things you would least expect to teach you things about your life. Well, I guess He is always doing that, isn't He?
It seems like since Beardface and I have got married we're almost always in a situation where I have to be very creative with the budget. I wouldn't say we've ever been in financial trouble, but sometimes we've had to be crafty with what we spend each month. Naturally, I've spent some time (not a lot, but some) thinking about what life would be like for us when I get a raise, or if Beardface were to get a high paying job. It's not that I'm materialistic or that I like expensive things; I've just always thought things would be a little easier if there was a bit more room in our budget.
When I go back to work, Beardface is going to stop working and stay home with BabyGirl, so we'll be missing his income for a few months. I was working the new budget (minus Beardface's income), and started to get pretty upset. I guess I'm just getting frustrated with always having to finagle (is that how you spell it?) our way into paying our bills and things. I found myself yesterday wishing we had more money.
This morning was cool here, and I spent the best part of it weeding our garden. We had a fairly large and productive garden earlier this summer, but due to a lack of weeding and an overabundance of sunshine and water, the garden and its weeds have overgrown most of the productive plants. (Don't get all judgmental on me; I was ten months pregnant and it was 100 degrees for most of June!) Two weeks ago I decided to buy weed killer and just attack the weeds and seeding plants that remained in our raised beds; so today I only had to pull up dead plants (which is much less strenuous). It was still a difficult job, and I found myself thinking that our garden was definitely too much of a good thing. We were overzealous with our planting and ended up with 8 zucchini plants, 7 tomato plants, and way too many string bean plants. We had more plants than we could tend to and more vegetables than we could harvest. (I love giving away vegetables I grow to family and friends, but we found the fruits were falling off the plants before we could harvest them.) There was simply too much in our garden for us to take care of with all of our other responsibilities.
I wonder sometimes if that is what God is showing us with our financial situation. Would any more income be too much for us to handle? Luckily, I don't need to know the answer to that question. I only need to know that whatever He is doing is meant to grow us both up and more like Christ.