Thursday, August 11, 2011

One-handed

When I was pregnant it seemed like everyone I met had some little nugget of wisdom for me, some treasured piece of information that would get my husband and I through parenthood. By and large the most common piece of information I received was to learn to do everything I need to do one-handed. Mostly this information came from dads of multiple children who told tales of bouncing a toddler on one knee while doing the bills or some other picture-esque scene from a movie that I can only imagine would be entitled "Adventures in Parenting".
Oddly enough, I have found this tactic useful. I'm sure when BabyGirl because a fussy, bouncing toddler both Beardface and I will have the opportunity to use our one-handed skills. But I am finding it beneficial to learn to do things one-handed while I'm nursing. Granted, I don't know of any fathers that have breastfed their babies (you never know with today's technological advancements..), but if they did, they'd know what you really can do one-handed.
For example, I eat most meals while nursing. Something about Beardface and I sitting down to eat makes our daughter hungry. This will be great when she is three years old and can use a fork and spoon to feed herself, but for now I've mastered balancing a baby on a crossed leg while eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I used to feel bad about getting Raisin Bran crumbs or salad dressing on her head, but then I realized: I have to eat, too! If I don't eat, I don't make milk, and if I don't make milk, she is out of luck. So I continue to eat with BabyGirl in my lap.
Tell me: has anyone else eaten while nursing? Whay other things have you done while breastfeeding? I'd love to hear about it.