Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Whip It Out!

So today I have a story and a question for all of you.

This past Saturday we went to a nearby city with Beardface's parents for my mother-in-laws birthday. We stopped at a bagel place for lunch, and it was packed. We could only find a table in the middle of the restaurant. Usually this wouldn't be an issue, but since I'm nursing the BabyGirl, I often look for seats where I have my back or one side of my body next to a wall to avoid accidentally flashing the unsuspecting public.

So there we are, Beardface and I staking out our table in the middle of the restaurant when the little girl starts gnawing on her hands, letting me know she would like a snack. I, being the ever oblivious person, put my nursing cover on, which looks pretty much like this:
I then proceed to unlatch my contraption of an outfit to feed my baby. Beardface, of course, ever mindful of his surroundings, proceeds to adjust and pull my nursing cover in all sorts of ways to ensure that I am in no way exposing myself to the people around us. He lets me know in his gentle way that my breast is out for the world to see (which is not entirely true; you could just catch some side-boob view if you were sitting in the right spot). I get fairly annoyed at Beardface when he does this. I understand that I am his wife, and he doesn't want me to expose myself to people around; I'm also sure he's worried there may be some pervs staring. But honestly, I'm of the belief that so long as I'm making a general effort to be modest, I'm doing my part. It's not as if I'm just unbuttoning in public without using a nursing cover, allowing the world to see my breasts. I'm make an attempt to prevent my bosom from being seen, but I cannot help that there may be a person or two who catches an accidental glimpse of something they shouldn't have seen. Or, yes, maybe a perv might try to catch a glimpse of something he desperately wants to see. I can only help what I am doing to try to protect my privacy and that of my daughter, but I cannot help the curiosity and view of those around me.
That being said, this reason alone is definitely NOT enough for me to stop nursing in public. I am not forced to eat in secrecy or behind closed doors, so why should my BabyGirl?

So my question to all of you is: How do you feel about nursing in public? For moms that have, did you use a cover? Did you feel comfortable breastfeeding in places where you could be seen? Leave me something.