Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pick up the Pace, Grandma!

So many people make it a point to lecture others on timeliness. Being late for something is wasting everyone's time, they say. What I say to them is, where are these people, and can they please give their collective speech to those in charge of my training??
As a semi-military organization, I can't tell you how many times I have heard that it is essential to be on time for everything. And they mean EVERYTHING. I've heard horror stories that if you are late to conferences, the speaker will call you down to the front of the auditorium at the end of a particular lecture to inform you that you are to be on time to everything in our agency.
Now, given this lecture, I have been particularly on time to every little training session I've had. I have not been late for excuse of getting a drink, emptying my bladder. Nothing.
Now here is my beef:
We have had several "guest speakers" for different training sessions, and although all of them start their lectures on time, none of them have ended on time. Take, for example, yesterday. I was sitting in a class that was intended to last 1 hour, but instead went on for 2 1/2 hours. When did this become acceptable?? What if there was a meeting or another training session following this particular one? Luckily, there was not, but this woman cut into our precious cubicle time to get our weekly assignments done.
I began to think: why could all of these highly ranking employees in a semi-military organization not realize that they are exceeding their allotted time for a training session? The answer, I have decided, is that none of these people are qualified to teach or train. Although I have watched several computer training modules plauding the greatness of a quality training program, it seems as though this agency has decided to simply select knowledgeable individuals and ask them to convey their knowledge to new employees. Though this seems like it would be a great idea, in fact, it is not. Actually, a person completely ignorant of the topic but well-trained in teaching techniques would probably do a better job.
I find myself dozing off, playing with my pen, doodling, etc. during each class. And I am definitely not the only one. Just today I heard the beginnings of a snore in during our training session.
I am pleading with all companies who employ elaborate training programs: Train your instructors on how to train. Your future employees will thank you.