Sunday, September 18, 2011

Keeping It Real

A long, long time ago, before BabyGirl was just a twinkle in her daddy's eye (well, ok, she may have been a twinkle but that twinkle wasn't coming to fruition for a while) Beardface and I talked about not letting anyone else raise our children. Both he and I were raised in homes where, for the most part, at least one parent was home all the time. For his family, this meant his mom didn't work full-time outside of the home for most of his childhood; for my family, it meant my father worked days and my mother worked nights. Somehow, we wanted to keep this tradition alive; we hoped to have one of us home with our children during the day.
This, I've learned is much easier said than done. Currently we have our schedules worked out so that Beardface plays Mr. Mom (Michael Keaton reference!) during the day, then goes to class or work, depending on the day, in the evenings. We have one night to go to our small group meetings together, and then we have the weekends together. Talking about beforehand didn't sound so terrible. I honestly thought we could make this work. What I hadn't realized is that it takes work to make a marriage work, from both parties involved.
This week we've got Beardface's grandparents visiting from Wisconsin, which is a huge blessing. They are a wonderful couple, very easy going, and a wealth of great information. I really love having them stay. Having them here does mean that we are spending a great deal more time with Beardface's parents and other family that is in town. Don't get me wrong, I love them, too, but it's been a few weeks since I've really had Beardface all to myself. And dang it, I'm his wife. Don't I get him all to myself sometimes? Or at least just all to BabyGirl and I?
I'm realizing that during this week if we want to spend time together, we've got to plan it. We have to make sure we're home at a decent time and ask to jump away for a bit. We have to do this, of course, without offending anyone. I don't think that would be a problem, since his family doesn't seem easily offended. But still, the possibility is there, and that makes me nervous.
I know it seems petty, but I don't want to get to a point in our marriage where we don't know each other. I want to keep the closeness we have now.