Monday, September 19, 2011

Tea and Prayers

Fall is heading here quickly, and the cooler weather does all sorts of things to my psyche. While I love all things fall (the sights, the smells, the tastes) cooler weather and shorter daylight hours tends to put me in a sour mood. I experience what a lot of people have come to call seasonal depression. I wouldn't typically call what I experience "depression" per say, but it definitely is a distinct change in my mood. It hasn't been nearly as bad this year as it has been is years past, and I think a lot of it has to do with my family situation. I'm happily married and have a wonderful daughter; I have a lot to live for and people counting on me.
That being said, I'm sitting in my living room enjoying one of my favorite cool weather treats, a cup of milky tea, praying about a recent development in our household. Currently, I work full-time and Beardface plays Mr. Mom. I pump milk at work for my husband to give the baby during the day while I'm not home, and I love that I'm still able to give her this advantage even though I'm gone most of the day. Logically, though, it would be simpler if I were to stay home with our daughter, and Beardface and I have been praying for this kind of opportunity.
Recently, one has come up. Beardface has applied for a position in his field at a local college, and if he gets this position, he will be making more than enough for me to be able to stay home. We know a few people that work in the particular department that Beardface has applied to, so we think he probably has a good shot. (Most people who get hired at this particular school get hired for who they know as opposed to an outstanding resume. Scary, but so true in some places these days.) BF is highly capable of this job, and it sounds like he'll love it. I, on the other hand, would love to not have to get up before 5am to be at work everyday. I'd rather be playing with my little girl.
So all I'm asking for tonight are some prayers.
Lord, if it's your will, please let my husband get a job that will begin his career. He is incredibly smart and talented, and I can only hope that others see this in him, as well. Lord, I also ask that you give me the opportunity to be the hands-on, full-time mother that I wish I could be.