Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hormones

I would like to state here that I am normally a very rational human being. Most days.
Today, this was not the case.
Beardface and I carpool to work, and as a carpooling couple, we have to work together in the mornings to get our things ready and get out the door on time. It is quite like a magical synchronized swimming routine:
I get up silly early to run in the pre-dawn darkness, while my husband slowly rolls out of bed. By the time I'm back, he is either showered or still in there, which means I start my own shower or jump in with him (score!).
Then there is this 15-20 blurr that includes dressing and putting on deodorant and things. I honestly am never sure how this gets done in the morning, but it does.
When we are both dressed and fairly presentable, we sit down to breakfast together. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you can still be at work by 7am and sit down to a wholesome breakfast. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
This morning in particular, after breakfast I had a few last minute things to put into our respective lunch bags, allowing Beardface the time to go brush his teeth. (Aside: My husband is one of those strange people that cannot brush his teeth before breakfast. I refuse to see the logic in this, but as his wife, I am willing to overlook it.)
Anyway, as I finish putting things together in the lunch, I peek to see if Beardface is around because I was going to slip a note into his lunchbag. When I look around the corner what do I see? My husband is on Facebook. Annoyed, clearly, I ask him (not so gently) to go brush his teeth. He grumbles and does so.
The entire ride to work there is some serious tension. I think he is angry with me, and he thinks I am angry with him. It is all sorts of out of wack.
When I get to work, I immediately e-mail Beardy to call a truce. At lunchtime I check my e-mail again. No response. So I call him. Voicemail. Then towards the end of the day I check e-mail again. No response. No phone call. I e-mail him one last time.
On the way to pick him up after work I text something sarcastic asking if he wants me to pick him up, and the poor man is confused.
I had quite literally worked myself into a frenzy enough that I was blazingly angry at him for not having tried to contact me at all during the day.
Hormones.