Friday, May 21, 2010

An Unusual Position

Recently I've taken a position serving at my church. I had several options to choose from: ushering, making coffee or breakfast, directing traffic in the parking lot, etc. Did I choose any of these fairly less than social activities? Absolutely not.
For the next few months, I will be watching my fellow church-goers babies while they attend service. For those of you who attend a church that does not have this service, you may be reading this thinking, "Wow, that's awesome. There aren't any screaming babies in the middle of the sermon." This is exactly why our church provides the service.
But, I have very little experience with children at all. In fact, allow me to document here:
Age 13 - My cousin has a baby boy. He is adorable and cute and cuddly, so I decided to touch his head. He screams. I refuse to touch babies for years.
Age 15 - I get a job as a camp counselor for snooty rich kids. I am in charge of 20 8 year old boys and girls. I nearly shoot myself after work each day.
I have no other real substantial contact with children again. Seriously. No one small enough or not for long enough to warrant a short description here.
So, I will be watching people's children on Sunday. I'm not worried I won't do well, I'm just worried I'll bore the kids. But their toddlers, so I suppose small things amuse them. Hopefully I'll be ok.