Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sports Pride and Insanity

I have to vent about this. Really, I do.
For anyone who has ever spent much time in the state of Virginia, you may have noticed that an uncommonly large number of cars are sporting vanity plates, or license plates with numbers and letters of the particle owner's choosing. This is for the simple fact that vanity plates are much less expensive in the state of Virginia than they are in other states across the country. (Believe me, I was even pleasantly surprised to see the low price of vanity plates, but decided against them since I had nothing worthwhile to imprint on the back of my vehicle. Vanity license plates should be a fairly big decision. I understand it is nothing compared to the purchase of your first home or naming your children, but consider this: every individual that sees your car sees your license plates. They may or may not judge you based on what you have chosen to put on them.
Now, when the cost of something is low, it's availability is higher, yes? I have never taken an economics course, but this sounds likely enough to be true. So vanity plates in this state are available and feasible for nearly everyone, including those with an annoyingly strong love for the Virginia Tech Hokies.
So what I see when I drive around town are license plates like "Hokie Fan", Hokie Fan1", or "HOKIES". It isn't bad enough that maroon and orange litter our city (which for reference is not where V. Tech is located, but now the fans have to proclaim their love in my face from the back of their vehicle.
I feel there is nothing I can do to stop this, so I suffer in silence. But so help me, next time I renew my license, I may just get "HOKIE H8R".