Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Butt Kicker of a Week

I don't know what it was about this week, but I am beat! And it's only Thursday! I haven't felt like any of my workouts have been too terrible (today was a 3 mile run and a strength routine), but I guess it's all just wearing down on me. I am so ready for the weekend.
Speaking of the weekend. Guess what Beard and I are doing this weekend? No, not Disneyland. No, not camping. Even cooler. We're going to the lake! :-)
For clarification, we aren't like your everyday average Virginians who enjoy all sorts of crazy things at the beach. People fish, go boating, go hiking, and just do crazy lake specific things. All of these things seem cool, I guess, if you're the kind of person who has a Virginia Tech sticker on your F-150. But if you're regular folk like my husband and I, the lake is really the closest beach you have.
Boy do I miss the beach. I grew up so close to the beach that my mother would take us kids at least once a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day. I was what you would call a "Water Baby". Moving down to central VA has moved me about 4 hours drive from the Atlantic ocean, and that depresses me a little. Mostly just in summer. You know, when the sun is beating on your face and it's so bright outside you can barely open your eyes. Little beads of sweat form on your back as soon as you step outside. That's when I think "Man, I could use some Jersey Shore right now". (Aside: when I refer to the Jersey Shore, I mean a gloriously beautiful National Park called Sandy Hook, not the dirty trashy Sleez-side Heights that has been the setting for a recent reality television show.)
What do you like to do best in the summer? Those of you not near a coast, what kind of summer-y activities get you excited for the hot months?