Monday, June 7, 2010

The First is Always the Easiest

The Virginia Ten-Miler is probably the most famous race in our area. People come from around the globe (or so the website claims) to run the historic, hilly course.
I'll admit, I've always had my eye on the Ten-Miler for a running goal. It is famed to be one of the most difficult races of its distance in the country because of all the hills along the course, and no, I've never particularly trained to run hills, but oh well.
So I'm arming myself to prep for this terrifying but awesome race. I've got a 12 week training schedule for a half-marathon (which is 13.1 miles, but I figure training for a longer distance will help me with speed), and I've got a few weeks leeway to work on hills. I'm running the Ten-Miler this September. Yea... :)
This morning was the first day of my training schedule, and I bounded out of bed this morning to check the distance I get to run today. To my dismay, Mondays, for the entire 12 weeks, are stretch and strengthen. Did you hear me groan? Because I definitely just did. I understand that rest is important, and that strong, well-stretched muscles run better, but it is just far too boring and easy to to a strength workout and stretch.
I know I'm cuing all yoga and pilates lovers to attack me right now, so I'll go ahead and concede that strength workouts can be difficult. But I have never found a strength workout to be anywhere near as difficult as running 10 miles. (Yea, what do you have to say about that, yogis?)
Tomorrow at least I have a 3 mile run scheduled (for very early in the am. YES!). The first two weeks look fairly boring, but I know I have to suffer through them.

Lord, help me to find the patience to take the baby steps necessary to build up my endurance.