Saturday, June 12, 2010

Trying Something New

As you all know, I had a pretty rough week. It was really hard to get enough sleep when my body just didn't want to sleep when I needed it to. So I'm supposed to be having a restful weekend so I can get back to work on Monday refreshed. What do I decide to do on my restful weekend?
Make lots of bread. :-)
I had to make our regular sandwich bread anyway, so I figured while I'm already kneading things, I might as well try some baguettes.
Our regular sandwich bread is a delicious and easy recipe that I found on The Fresh Loaf. That website, by the way, is my go to for any bread, rolls, or other delicious rising baked goods. I've done that recipe several times by now, so I can nearly do it with my eyes closed. I got that all baked last night, so I'd have time this morning for...
The baguettes.
(Did I hear you say mmm?)
Baguettes have to be, hands down, my absolute favorite type of bread. They have a crusty outside and a soft, chewy inside, and are absolutely made to go with some chopped tomato salad (Recipe to follow). This is the recipe I'm using for the whole wheat baguettes. I'm not sure how it will turn out because it usually takes me a few tries with a bread recipe to get it to where it tastes lovely. Either way, it's a very exciting prospect. :-)
As far as running, yesterday was a rest day (boring, but necessary), and today I've got 30 minutes of cross-training on my schedule. Beardface and I don't usually go to the gym on Saturdays, but I may have to today, whether he'll come along or not. I know 30 minutes of walking isn't going to cut it, but 30 minutes on the rowing machine might. ;-) Tomorrow is a 4 mile run, so I'm all kinds of excited. Can you see me wiggling my behind through the screen? Thought so.

Chopped Tomato Salad (Makes 4 servings)
2 cups chopped tomatoes, any kind
1 tbsp olive oil
salt, to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper
5-6 leaves fresh basil
1 clove of garlic

Pick any kind of tomatoes that you like. I love cherry tomatoes because I only have to cut them in have to make them bite-sized, and they are very sweet. If you are a roma tomato kind of person, use those. I wouldn't suggest using beefsteak tomatoes simply because they tend to have the least flavor.
Chop the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces, and chop the garlic as fine as you can. Put both into a bowl with salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil over it, then stir. Rip the basil leaves into small pieces and add to your mixture and give it a light toss.

Serving Suggestions: I have been known to eat this straight, by itself, but it can go well with some great bread. My parents used to refer to this salad as "Dippity Do's" because it called for a good piece of baguette to be dipped in the juice left by the tomatoes and olive oil. You could also serve it over some toasted bread (not sliced Wonder bread toasted, but real bread, toasted in the oven). That would look more like bruschetta.

Enjoy!