Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In Bed Before 7? You Don't Say!

It has been one of those days, and everyone reading this knows what I mean. I woke up feeling slightly hazy, and no matter what I did all day I couldn't shake the fuzz on my brain. Yup, one of those days.
I went for my 3.5 mi run this morning, which I will admit terrified me. I left the house just before 5am, and it was obviously still dark. Last night I had used this to figure out a nice route to incorporate the extra half mile that I usually don't run in the mornings. Well, I picked a few new streets on this route that happen to have very little nighttime lighting. And for those of you who have never been up before the sun comes up, 5 am is basically nighttime for all intents and purposes. Anyway, here I am, phone-less, iPod-less, key-less, even, running down unfamiliar roads in the dark. It's no wonder my husband wants to buy me a road tag. (A road tag is basically an identification bracelet, anklet, or shoelace attachment for runners in case of an emergency.) The poor Beard probably thinks I'll be kidnapped.
But I digress. Back to my brain fuzz.
I had my usual cup of coffee at work, and I got cracking into my computer training early. As a government intern, I am required to do an irritatingly large amount of computer training in order to become certified and useful to the U.S. Government as soon as possible; my strategy has been to knock it out in the mornings, then roam the plant in the afternoon when I'd rather be taking a nap.
At about 0715 I sat down in front of a training module on government acquisition (doesn't get more thrilling than that, does it?) and got to work. By about 0800, I had lost all attention in what I was doing and wanted to just go home.
This pattern stayed with me all day, even when a few of us left the plant for "official U.S. government business". Usually I'm thrilled when I can leave the plant during the day, if only for a short while like it was today. This afternoon, though, I felt like I couldn't concentrate on walking straight, let alone be excited to be outside.
I managed to get home in one piece and cook some coconut shrimp for dinner (my absolute favorite summer dish), and now I'm in bed. I have a wonderful husband that cleaned up after dinner and gave me a cup of tea so I could sit under the covers and send my thoughts into cyberspace. I'm hoping for sanity and brain clarity tomorrow. Oh well.